Got It !

Yesterday I drove to Hamburg and picked up my new baby from the banjoree guys.
It´s loud, it´s deep, it´s a real beauty: My new cello-banjo. (I`ll post pics next days.)
                       
I learned that America and Europe had lot´s of banjo orchestras at the beginning of the last century. And all those orchestras and bands had at least one cello banjo (if not a bass banjo too). Nowadays a guitar or even an upright bass adds the deep flavour to folk and bluegrass bands. But to hear the cello banjo solo or in a band really is pure joy and happiness - to me.
When in Hamburg last December at the Andy Rubin workshop I had the chance to try the host´s cello banjo that evening.
And could not forget it´s sound.
Then I found Cathy Moore´s video on youtube – and thought I would never be able to play it as clean and rhythmically correct as she does – but nevertheless decided to give it a try.

It´s tuned one octave deeper than the normal five string, has a fret board nearly as wide as my guitar and fat nylon strings on it.
And can drive the family crazy if played late at night – so my next buy will be a banjo mute.

Cross fingers I will be able to post a clawhammer audio file some day. For the time being I am struggling not only with the broad fretboard but with the right hand stroke and the drop thumps as I am not accustomed to such fat strings and large intervals between the strings.

So when (nearly) all Europe is doing the pilgrimage to Newcastle this October I´ll have comfort and joy with my cello banjo...

Here is my first try (together with Martina on guitar) along the melody (or away from the melody) of "Poor Wayfaring Stranger". For obvious reasons I used only the four main strings and did it finger picking, not frailing. Despite the mistakes made it may give you an idea of the sound of this wonderful instrument. I love it!
If you come to the weekend in July you may try it yourself of course.

Kommentare