Jazz

Dixieland jazz always was fun for me to hear but never got my real attention. Maybe this is going to change? Yesterday I joined a group of very likeable guys and we tried the jazzy way.
The soprano sax had the idea, called the baritone sax, the trombone and the tuba and then - happy me - gave me a call, thanks to this blog. They needed a banjo. I took my five string and on we went. We had sheet music and started to play immediatly not always crowned with succes, but had lots of fun - and we are going to continue!
Until next month I will have to learn chords like Cmi7 and Ebmi7 . At this moment I am not sure I have an idea about the chord fingering, but I am confident to learn. The MelBay "Banjo Chord Encyclopedia" will help. There are things (are those real chords?) like"EbAug5th", also known (don´t know to whom) as Eb9#5 or Eb9+5...  But in the end it´s just four fingers put on the fretboard -somewhere or other. Didn´t know the tune "Avalon" before, but "All of Me" and "Bye Bye Blackbird" sounded familiar. I´ll let you know when we make progress.
So I am going to run with the hare and hunt with the hounds - play clawhammer and strum the ol´ plectrum banjo. Dunno where this path is leading me, hope it´s to the world of music...

Kommentare